Friday, March 27, 2015

What Angels Fear

What Angels Fear (Sebastian St. Cyr, #1)
 
 
This book was on my local library recommendation list and because I enjoy historical fiction, I decided to give it a try. However, I did not realize that this is part of a series and I am torn as to if I will read the next one.
 
What I really like about C. S. Harris' writing is that it does appear that she tried to research the time period to make the setting very realistic. There was quite a great deal of effort and description of the region and time. Harris also did a pretty decent job with describing the politics of the era and how political decisions were sometimes 'influenced', in a manner of speaking.
 
From the beginning I was taken by the viscount Sebastian. Harris developed his character very well. I had no doubt what he looked like and found myself wondering about his unique eye color along with the way his movements were described. There was a part of me that was hoping a little bit of fantasy writing could have been implemented here instead of staying in the real world realm. He would have been even more intriguing with some sort of power. Unfortunately, it the author notes at the end of the boy, the wonderfully romanticized version I had created of Sebastian was shattered as Harris revealed what type of genetic anomaly the viscount may have actually had.
 
Overall, there were some interesting passages and I thought that the pacing was well done. In the back of my mind, I felt like I was still looking for something and I don't know that I ever got to that "can't put the book down must keep reading at all costs" point. It was interesting, but it wasn't a page turner for me.
 
If you like mysteries set in historical England then this book might be for you. However, if you need constant twists, turns, and action then this book may not be for you. Overall, a cozy little mystery book that won't keep you up at night, but was just enough entertaining to finish.
 
Rating: 3 out of 5
 
I borrowed this book from my local library; I was not asked to give a review of this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment