Saturday, January 18, 2014

Daughters of Twilight

Daughters of Twilight

It is rare that I come across a book that I just cannot put down and read well into the night, but this book was one of them. The premise is what interested me from the beginning; a possible war with angels here in Iowa. However, even though I was interested enough to read this almost all in one night, it did not deliver everything that I had imagined it would.

What I really thought that Collette Jackson-Fink did well was with regards to description of the surroundings and of the characters. The angels were incredibly detailed with their beauty and the way that they were able to move/fight. I found myself transfixed, wondering exactly what it would have been like to be in their presence. The men that were fighting against them, some under false pretense, were your garden variety military personnel. Jackson-Fink does try to give each of them a unique quirk or characteristic to set them apart from one another, but sometimes they still seemed a little type-casted. What I really loved were the descriptions of the black pyramid, especially the secret place the angels take the main character Dane to.

Most of the issues I had were simple editing or revision errors. There were many sentences that started with "He, his, they" and that made the paragraphs seem to read a little awkward at times. Some of the dialogue was a little confusing at times with missing quotations and some strange spacing issues. I think that there were two areas within the storyline that I felt if the author had fleshed out a little more, the story would have been a little more complete feeling. One was when an angle "tasted the truth" in the blood of the wounded Dane. I didn't quite understand how that worked. How did the angel taste truth? Seemed relatively abstract and wasn't very concrete. The other issue I had dealt with how the angels "remake" or "transform" their life mates. It seemed to be something that was talked about more than once, but when it came time for it to happen in the book, it was only a paragraph long. It didn't really explain how it happened, which is what I really wanted to know. The last issue I had was that the novel seemed to wrap every loose end up when it was finished. I think that I like to have a little bit of the storyline end not so neat to keep me thinking. Sometimes that "what ifs?" are sometimes more important to me than tying everything up in the end completely.

Overall, I thought that this was a very good novel. The religious undertone was what really drew me to it and it kept me interested all the way to the end. I would recommend this book to just about anyone who likes religious suspense fiction. However, if you are not a fan of having everything tied up neatly in the end and know that will bother you, I would suggest skipping this book for the moment, but it would be shame to miss out on this one.

Rating: 3 out of 5

I was given a copy of the book by the author; I was not paid to do this review.

The image was taken from Good Reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment