Monday, June 10, 2013

The Order of the Dimensions


Synopsis: "When Jane Kremowski first began her graduate studies in physics at Madison State University in Wisconsin, little did she know where her work would take her. Now, she is embroiled in a multitude of dimensions all leading to different outcomes. She and her colleagues therefore must act wisely in order to take and keep away the Order of Dimension from falling into the wrong hands for the sake of her loved ones." (Image taken from goodreads.com and synopsis is taken from the back cover of the book).

Review: The author of this book, Irene Helenowski, contacted me through Book Blogs and asked me if I would be interested in doing a review of this book. Young Adult Science Fiction/Fantasy is not normally what I read, but I was intrigued by the subject matter of her book and agreed to read/review it.

Overall, I thought that the book was very interesting with the fact that you would be able to jump into different dimensions of time. However, the book moved very quickly and these "jumps" were not always easy to follow or written about in detail. I found myself rereading a little here and there trying to determine if the characters had "jumped" or if they were still in the dimension they were currently just in. The means of transportation was not very well explained either and I had to use a bit of imagination to mentally picture what it looked like and how it worked.

I also thought that the characters needed a little more fleshing out/development. Even after I finished the book, I was still not sure what the main characters looked like exactly. I think that the author gave a good and brief introduction as to what types of people each one would be, but it didn't always come through. There are several scenarios in the book that I felt were a little unbelievable due to their reactions or lack there of to the peril they found themselves in.

For the plot, I thought it was a good baseline for what the story could eventually become. It has several climax sequences and moves forward throughout the piece. However, I thought that the pace was very fast and things got overlooked. There was too much dialogue and not enough detail filled in between these conversations. I never was able to get a clear concrete image of the setting that the characters were in or their emotional attachment, etc. since the very next page would be yet another dimension/scene.

In closing, I think that the subject matter is a good premise for a book, but feels incomplete. There were some other editing issues that I had with the book, but that is just the nit picky English major in me complaining. The author has mentioned that the new editions do not have these typos in them and she is currently working on a sequel to this book.

"The Order of the Dimensions" would be very suitable for the young adult readers that the author has written it for. However, if you are someone like me that needs to know more details and how certain mechanics of the dimension jumper contraction works, then this book will not be for you. In the end it was a very pleasant read. I do hope that the author continues writing and that her young readers will become that much more interested in the sciences.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5 stars

I was given a copy of the book by the author to review for free; I was not paid to do a review of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment